Sossusvlei Desert Lodge - NamibRand, Namibia
Find a hotel
Rates from R5250 per night · Safari Style · 10 rooms
Surrounded by the mountains and sand dunes of the Namib Desert, Sossusvlei Desert Lodge is a sublime boutique escape to the world as it should be. Sheer silence, total tranquillity and romantic luxury. From stargazing to intimate picnics in the desert, this is an extraordinary desert wilderness.Take a breather from your hectic schedule and reconnect with yourself and with nature at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge. Nestled deep in the heart of Namibia's ancient Namib Desert in Southern Africa, the lodge is a secluded and serene oasis that overlooks awe-inspiring dunes and stony outcrops.
A world of vast spaces, endless horizons and rugged mountain heights, the utter tranquillity and extraordinary clarity of light make this area one of Africa’s most compelling landscapes.
In this spectacularly beautiful location, spacious and serene suites envelope guests in pure indulgence, complete with an outdoor shower and a dramatic skylight over the bed for late night star gazing.
If you're up for something more active, quad biking adventures, hikes and walks will let you explore the surrounding scenery and satisfy your sense of adventure.
Know Before You GoRooms:
With just 10 villas constructed of stone and glass, guests can enjoy the solitary splendour of this remote landscape in privacy. Suites are air conditioned against the searing heat of day and cosy fireplaces ward off the chill of winter nights.
Minimalist interiors echo the stark elegance of the outdoors. Massive windows in the split-level bedroom and sitting room, as well as the ensuite bathroom, open onto the wide plains. Lose yourself in the breathtaking beauty of the desert from the comfort of your private veranda or experience the unaccustomed luxury of an outdoor shower with a view.
A glazed glass skylight above the king sized bed lets in the blazing beauty of a clear night sky crammed with stars and your own personal spotting scope reveals clear details of both stars and wildlife.
Fully inclusive rates include: accommodation, three meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees, refreshments on game drives, laundry, scheduled safari activities within the NamibRand Reserve, emergency medical evacuation insurance and transfers to and from airstrip (where applicable).
The split-level main lodge is an ensemble of glass and stone curves with walls of windows maximising the awesome desertscape. There are quiet hideaways, viewing decks, a bar, fireplace, dining room, well stocked wine cellar, main sitting room and terrace, mezzanine library stocked with books and CDs with viewing deck, Safari Shop, observatory and rim-flow pool.
Sossusvlei Desert Reserve is set in the far northern part of the NamibRand Nature Reserve in Namibia, a vast area of over 180,000 hectares (444,800 acres) that lies between the endless dune fields of the Namib Desert and the jagged mountains of the escarpment.
Offering an experience that encompasses both sandy dunes and rocky outcrops, guests to the NamibRand are guaranteed to view a variety of desert habitats.
The Lodge is surrounded by rocky outcrops that form the foothills of the Nubib Mountains, which are visible to the east. A variety of different rock types occur in the area, creating spectacular formations with different textures and colours as far as the eye can see. Vast plains and valley floors extend to the south of the Lodge, where caves and petrified dunes created from sandstone can be viewed. Further south lie vast stretches of distinctive red sand dunes, extending for thousands of square kilometres into the heart of the Namib. Whether rocky hillside, sandy plain, dry river bed or sand dune, each of the habitats found around the Lodge form a home for characteristic plants and animals.
Mouth watering dinners are served by lantern light on the open dining deck or in a surprise location in the nearby dunes. When night falls, our resident astronomer reveals the mysteries of the stars in our state of the art observatory.
- Twice daily nature drives - track down unique desert-adapted wildlife in open vehicles
- Admire the fascinating and varied terrain, and learn more about the desert fauna and flora
- Explore the mysterious fairy circles, where vegetation refuses to grow
- Dune walks - guests are free to explore the areas surrounding the Lodge on foot
- Experience the tranquility of the desert and marvel at the exceptional plant life, such as the quiver tree
- Quad biking - explore the desert on already established trails on a quad bike
- Stargazing - each evening resident astronomers give fascinating presentation on the stars and constellations
- Picnic excursions-guided tours (additional cost) of the famous Sossusvlei sand dunes and the fascinating Sesriem Canyon
- Hot air ballooning and scenic flights over the Namib Desert (additional cost)
- Cool off with a refreshing dip in the pool or indulge in an afternoon siesta before afternoon tea
- Sossusvlei Desert Lodge is open year round
- Children are welcome and an extra bed can be arranged for a child sharing its parents’ desert villa. No more than one triple at any one time
- Regretfully, children 5 years and younger cannot participate in the scheduled safari activities. Children aged 6 to 11 years are accommodated on scheduled safari activities at the lodge manager's discretion
- Children under the age of 16 cannot participate in ATV excursion
- Check in: 12h00. Check out: 11h00